Sunday, November 13th at 3.00pm at Sydney Town Hall.
- Q. Will I be able to sing all the choruses?
A. If you have your own score (Bärenreiter preferred), you will be free to sing any chorus you know of the ones we’re doing. If you buy a score from us, you will be able to sing all of these choruses. (All page numbers refer to the Bärenreiter edition)
4. And the Glory the Glory of the Lord (B p.12)
7. And He shall purify (B p.35)
8. O Thou that tellest good tidings (B p.46)
11. For unto us a Child is born (B p.64) (Come in at Wonderful)
15. Glory to God in the highest (B p.86)
18. His Yoke is easy (B.105)
19. Behold the Lamb of God (B p.113)
21. Surely He hath borne our griefs (B p.123)
22. And with His stripes we are healed (B p.128)
23. All we like sheep (B p.135)
25. He trusted in God (B p.150)
30. Lift up your heads (B p.166) (Come in at bar 34)
33. The Lord gave the Word (B p.188)
39. Hallelujah (B p.238)
41. Since by man came death (B p.257) (Come in at Allegro)
45. But thanks be to God (B p.273)
47. Worthy is the Lamb that was slain (B p.287)
(The page references in brackets are to the Bärenreiter edition.)
- Q. On the old rehearsal CD (piano version of each voice part) there are page references. Which edition do they refer to?
A. The Bärenreiter edition. Please mark them clearly in your score if it is not the Bärenreiter edition. This will help you to find your place during rehearsal.
- Q. When do rehearsals start?
A. At 9.30am on Sunday 13 November 2016. (You will, however, need to arrive at the Town Hall by 8.30am.) There are no other rehearsals – only those on the day itself. Participants are required to practise beforehand as much as they can, so that they are confident with the notes.
- Q. How can I buy the rehearsal aids (score of main choruses and access to piano version of your voice part)?
A. Registration and chorus score are available at http://sydneysings.com.au/ssm16/register. (For those who participated in previous Sydney Sings Messiah events with us, the score and CDs you had then are the same; there is just one more chorus, No. 45, which we will send to you following your registration. There is no need to get anything more). If you would like a rehearsal guide, we recommend the learning guide CyberBass: www.cyberbass.com. This is easy to use free of charge on your computer or you can buy a recording from the CyberBass web-site if you wish (MP3 or CD).
- Q. What do I wear?
A. White on top (with long sleeves) and black (long) on the bottom, black socks/stockings and shoes. Black bow- ties for men if possible. If you have a name badge you would like to wear, please put that on too.
- Q. How should I cover my score?
A. Scores should be covered in black or held securely inside a black folder.
- Q. I do not have a score and will need one on the day. What do I do?
A. You will need to buy or borrow one yourself, unless you have ordered the chorus-only score through SUGC – $15. (see Q4.)
- Q. How can I buy audience tickets?
A. Audience tickets will be available from Seymourcentre.com or 9351 7940 OR Ticketmaster.com.au or 1300 723 038.Doors will open at 2.15pm.
- Q. What is the deadline for registration to sing?
A. Registrations will close for each voice part as we fill the available space in the Town Hall.
- Q. I registered my interest in the event previously, so am I included?
A. No. Only those singers who have registered to sing at http://sydneysings.com.au/ssm16/register and have paid will be able to sing on the day.Registered singers will receive a confirmatory email saying that they have successfully registered. They will also later receive a detailed information sheet about the day itself .
- Q. How do I get to Sydney Town Hall?
A. Sydney Town Hall is well served by public transport. Please check timetable information at transportnsw.info. Sydney Town Hall is fully accessible by people with disabilities. Car parking is available all day at St Andrews House Car Park or Cinema Centre Car Park; it is best to order a space on-line in advance.
- Q. What is the program for the day?
A. The program is as follows:
9.30-11.30 choir and orchestra
12.00-1.00 orchestra and soloists
1.00-2.00 choir, orchestra and soloists
2.45 choir takes places
3.00 concert starts
Interval 20 minutes
5.30 concert ends
- Q. Can my children come with me and wait while I rehearse in the morning?
A. No. We won’t have a child-minding service available. Up until 2.15pm the Town Hall will be open only to singers, soloists, and orchestra members.
- Q. If I have registered to sing, but then find I cannot sing, can I get a refund?
A. We do not give refunds.
- Q. When will the choir be standing up and when will we be sitting down?
A. Please mark the following clearly in your score:
Sydney Sings Messiah Sunday 13 November 2016
Please stand up and sit down at the end of pieces (not when the singing stops) – watch the chorus leader.
Even if you are not singing a particular chorus, please stand and sit as shown.
Be standing while the conductor comes on to the stage.
2. Comfort ye (Tenor)
3. Ev’ry valley shall be exalted (Tenor)
4. Chorus: And the Glory
5. Thus saith the Lord, the Lord of Hosts (Bass)
6. But who may abide the day of His coming (Bass)
7. Chorus: And he shall purify; & Recitative: Behold, a virgin shall conceive (Alto)
8. Alto and chorus: O Thou That Tellest
9. For behold, darkness shall cover the earth (Bass)
10. The people that walked in darkness (Bass)
11. Chorus: For Unto Us
12. Pifa & recitative: There were shepherds abiding in the field (Soprano)
13. Accompagnato & recitative: And lo the angel of the Lord came upon them (Soprano)
14. And suddenly there was with the angel (Soprano)
15. Chorus: Glory to God
16. Rejoice greatly O daughter of Zion (Soprano); Then shall the eyes of the blind be open’d (Soprano)
17. He shall feed his flock (Alto, Soprano)
18. Chorus: His yoke is easy
19. Chorus: Behold the Lamb of God
20. He was despised (Alto)
21. Chorus: Surely He Hath Borne Our Grief
22. Chorus: And with His stripes we are healed
23. Chorus: All we like sheep
24. All they that see Him laugh Him to scorn (Tenor)
25. Chorus: He Trusted in God
26. Thy rebuke hath broken His heart (Tenor)
27. Behold, and see if there be any sorrow (Tenor)
28. He was cut off out of the land of the living (Tenor)
29. But Thou dids’t not leave His soul in hell (Tenor)
30. Chorus: Lift Up Your Heads
INTERVAL (Remain seated unless you need a break)
33. Chorus: The Lord Gave the Word
34. How beautiful are the feet (Soprano)
36. Why do the nations (Bass)
38. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron (Tenor)
39. Chorus: Halleluiah
40. I know that my Redeemer liveth (Soprano)
41. Chorus: Since By Man Came Death
42. Behold, I tell you a mystery (Bass)
43. The trumpet shall sound (Bass) & recitative Then shall be brought to pass (Alto)
44. O death where is thy sting (Alto and Tenor)
45. But thanks be to God
46. If God be for us, who can be against us (Soprano)
47. Chorus: Worthy is the Lamb. Amen.
Please note that the Music Director may make changes on the day, so please bring a pencil to make any notes you need to.
- Q. What will I do with my purse and keys while the performance is going on?
A. Please keep valuables to a minimum. You may have a small handbag under your seat if you are in the gallery (a majority of guest singers will be in the galleries). Otherwise, if you are on the stage, keep your small purse or wallet with you.
- Q. I’m in the guest choir; where will I be sitting? Can I sit with my friends
A. Singers will be grouped together in their voice parts, so if your friends are in the same voice part, that should be fine. The Music Director has decided to group the Graduate Choir separately from the guest choir. Please note that the majority of singers will be in the galleries
- Q. Can children register for the guest choir?
A. There is no age limit. However, singers will be grouped together in their voice part, so it would be advisable for children under 16 to come with a parent or adult friend in their own voice part. Parents who have not registered to sing will not be able to stay with children in the Town Hall. And of course children would need to be able to cope with being in a choir of 400-500 and with the rehearsal and performance schedule throughout the day.
- Q. Others from my choir will be singing too. Could we have our choir’s name and email address mentioned in the program?
A. If there are 8 or more members from a choir joining us and you’d like a mention of this in the concert program, please send the detail (members’ names, name of choir and email address or phone number) email@example.com by end of September.
- Q. My question isn’t covered here. Who can I contact?
A. The Manager of the Guest Choir is available for further information by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.